Do you want to help support this mission?

Make a donation at the Issa Trust Foundation site. If you'd like to purchase any of the items suggested in these posts, please have them mailed to: Diane Pollard, 2401 8th Street Court SW, Altoona, IA 50009

Monday, January 10, 2011

Starting week #2



Back to Port Maria today; I saw 26 patients. Lesson of the day: the Ackee fruit is the Jamaican national fruit. When prepared properly, the inner part is has high nutritional value. When not allowed to ripen or not boiled, the fruit can produce vomiting, seizures, hypoglycemia, and death due to alkaloid toxins. Apparently there has been an outbreak of this recently in Jamaica including several deaths. I will know to ask about this possibility of my patients tomorrow! Pictured above: my clinic room today and a cute Jamaican girl who was my first patient of the day. (Picture taken with written permission from her mother.)

No comments:

Post a Comment